Advice & Tools
- Flatting Guide Going flatting? Read OPSA’s before looking for flats or signing a lease Recommended
- STARS Check out the quality of a flat before you sign up for it Recommended
- Rate-my-Flat Check what the previous tenants though of a flat and landlord Recommended
- Flatting 101 Dept of Building & Housing’s guide to setting up a flat for the first time
- Home Energy Self Check How much is it going to cost to heat
- Powerswitch Find the cheapest retailer for your power needs
- Mouldy Flat? OPSA’s guide to getting rid of mold
Check out the implications of fixed-term leases before signing them – you are agreeing to pay rent for the entire time, meaning you can’t move out unless the landlord agrees to break the lease. OPSA recommends periodic leases if these suit you better.
Also be aware that in joint leases all tenants are joint and severally liable – this means if a flat-mate does a runner the landlord can expect you to pay their rent. OPSA recommends room-by-room leases if that suits you better.
- TradeMe Flatmates (Dunedin) Flatmates Wanted in Dunedin
- TradeMe Flatmates (Otago) Flatmates Wanted in Otago
- TradeMe Flats (Dunedin) Property for Rent in Dunedin
- TradeMe Flats (Otago) Property for Rent in Otago
- OU Accommodation Database Find a flat or flatmate
- Easy Roommate Advertise for flats or flatmates (free)
- Dunedin Houses to Rent Facebook group
- StudentAccommodation.co.nz Rental accommodation search & Find a Flatmate
- City College Hall of residence
- Check out the OPSA Accommodation notice-board.
Having Landlord Issues?
Check out your rights and responsibilities, OPSA can help you with this:
- Contact your landlord about what’s wrong and say what a good solution might be.
- If that doesn’t work, send your landlord a 14 Day Notice that they are failing to meet their responsibilities.
- If that doesn’t work contact the Department of Building and Housing they may be able to help, or you can take the issue to mediation
- If the dispute is not resolved by mediation, then you can have the matter referred to the Tenancy Tribunal